NETFLIX fans were left horrified and sobbing after watching new true crime film Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey.
Viewers expressed their outrage at how Lisa McVey was continually failed by so many people as the film told the story of the 17-year-old's kidnap and rape by serial killer Bobby Joe Long.
- The best thrillers on Netflix
- The most terrifying horrors on Netflix
- The best true crime series on Netflix
One Twitter user said that it was "infuriating" to see all the people that did not believe McVey's ordeal act so condescendingly towards to her.
Another said that Lisa McVey showed "absolute mind-blowing bravery."
Others admitted the footage left them "absolutely sobbing."
The Netflix movie shows how officers, as well as Lisa's own grandmother and her grandmother's boyfriend, found Lisa's story far-fetched.
Lisa suffered sexual and emotional abuse at the hands of her grandmother's boyfriend, which led to her feeling suicidal before her abduction, but her harrowing ordeal gave her a new determination to survive.
McVey was kidnapped by Long on November 3rd 1984 as she cycled home from her job at a doughnut shop in the early hours of the morning.
Long held her at gunpoint for 26 hours and continually raped her, but Lisa's calm demeanour and quick thinking meant that she was able to persuade Long to let her go and gather clues that would lead to his arrest.
What’s on Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime?
Looking for a new Netflix series to binge or the best movies to watch on Amazon Prime? We have you covered…
- New on Netflix: The best series and films released every day
- The best movies on Netflix to watch right now
- The best series to watch on Netflix
- The most terrifying horrors to watch on Netflix right now
- The best documentaries to watch on Netflix right now
- The best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- The best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- The best kids' shows on Netflix to watch right now
- The best true crime series to watch on Netflix
- The best movies to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series on Disney+
She said: "When he released me and drove off, I took off my blindfold and saw this amazing oak tree.
"I had wanted to die before and now I wanted to live, I got a second chance at life."
Lisa went on to get married and become a Florida police officer, telling Fox that she wanted to be "a protector."
Bobby Joe Long was found guilty of murdering 10 women and sat on death row for 17 years before being executed on May 23rd 2019.
McVey sat in the front row at Long's execution. She said "I wanted to be the first person he saw."
Now 54, Lisa has suffered with depression and PTSD but she says that she is a "survivor and a warrior. There's no victim here."
Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey is available to stream on Netflix now.
Source: Read Full Article