A mum has told of the terrifying moment her two-year-old son turned "lifeless" after being poisoned by her nicotine chewing gum.
Sophie Balint, 23, said Tommy and his older brother Ozzy, 4, discovered the chewing gum in a drawer as she was decorating on November 8.
The horrified mum discovered the the pair chewing gum and ordered them them to spit it out but after a few minutes the toddler began to sweat and vomit, before becoming 'lifeless'.
The youngster is now recovering after being rushed to hospital, WalesOnline reports .
Sophie, of Port Talbot, Wales said: "It was in their mouths for a couple of minutes and the next thing Tommy starting crying and saying he had a bad belly.
"Within five minutes he started being sick and within about 15 or 20 minutes he was lifeless lying on the floor. He couldn't lift his arms and his eyes were rolling.
"Luckily the next door neighbour was a first aider so he came to help. He was on the phone to the ambulance and we had to lie him on the sofa flat and keep him awake."
Ms Balint added that she has spoken out about the terrifying incident to warn parents of the dangers of "poisonous" nicotine products on children.
According to the NHS, large amounts of nicotine can prove "life threatening" to children.
Symptoms of nicotine toxicity overdose or poisoning including vomiting, sweating, drowsiness, shaking, confusion and seizures.
Sophie, who works within the electroplating industry, said: "The first aiders were there within 15 minutes but he had to stay there until the ambulance came.
"He was like that for around two and a half hours and by the time the ambulance came he had come around.
"The doctors said 80% of it had gone by that time. It was only 4mg nicotine so that was quite low.
"They said if he had chewed the whole packed it could have shut his organs down."
Both Sophie and Tommy were taken to hospital where the toddler was kept for a couple of hours for observation.
Sophie said: "They did some tests to check his heart and check his blood but he was back to normal.
"The doctor who saw Tommy was shocked, he had never seen anything like this. He had no idea how toxic it is."
She added: "In the house you wouldn't keep paracetamol in a drawer but there might be chewing gum. People don't know about this
"It was so scary. He's normally such a busy boy, he doesn't stop talking, so to see him lifeless [was terrifying]. All he remembers is being sick and going into the ambulance.
"He's quite big for his age, if he was little and skinny for his age I don't want to think about what could have happened.
"I was hysterical. Ozzy showed us what he had taken, and he was so good trying to keep the baby awake."
Source: Read Full Article